Every.single.project. leads to another. When we talked about our first phase of the kitchen remodel, we said we were going to:
Kitchen: (Phase one) Paint Cabinets, Stain fireplace, Bright window coverings/stained glass?, Paint Wood paneling, Paint Baseboards, Remove wallpaper
This has since turned in to way more than that as we peel back each layer of our onion of a house, but that was to be expected. While removing the paneling around the border of the kitchen, we realized two things:
1. We had to take care of the flooring during phase 1, instead of later like originally planned.
Since we ALL know that we do not have a shortage of wood paneling in this house, we decided we would ‘harvest’ some panels from the walls upstairs, cut them down to size, and re-install them downstairs.
We have two identical rooms on either side of a hallway and a bathroom in the middle. Here is a general floor plan of the upstairs done by our appraiser. It’s missing some walls, obviously, but you get the general idea..
We decided to start on the left bedroom first since our cabinet doors and drawers are curing in the right bedroom.
Notice we have the same items that we had in the kitchen: wood paneling, stick down tiles, and then some gorgeousss ceiling tiles, which are repeated in some other rooms in the house, as well.
There are two closets there-can you see them? They are undercover! This house is probably such an awesome house to play hide-and-seek in.
See how there are swiggly patterned sections between each flat section? On the reverse side of the wood, it is a simpler pattern like the wood in the hallway behind Josh.
Anywho, Josh started by removing the trim around the door, then took each piece out one by one. Our new process for removal is as follows:
- Hammer the crow bar in center of board and pull.
- Move bar down to base of board and pull.
- Move bar up to top of board and pull.
- Hammer the board back in toward the wall and use hammer to take nails out from the FRONT of the board, rather than trying to get the WHOLE board out with the nails still in.
If trying to salvage the wood, that is the best way to do it. If trying to rip it all out, just rip the suckers out with the crow bar. 🙂
This wall backs up to our shower, so that weird looking stuff is actually the grout that attached the tile. We were worried that we might find some water damage near this wall, but luckily there was nothing to be found. Phew!
Tucker with a photobomb.
We have a few more hours of removal to go and then we’ll get started re-installing everything down in the kitchen. These walls we will just leave open (we are only harvesting from internal walls to keep the house a bit more insulated) until we save up some money to hire someone to drywall both rooms and the hallway, but yay for progress!